Friday, October 21, 2011

Zucchini Au Gratin

Right now I'm hanging out in a Peet's on the Berkeley campus waiting for my boyfriend to finish work and finally have the time to update some of the culinary adventures I've had in the last month.  After my last trip home (in the beginning of September) I was gifted with part of my family's zucchini harvest.  I have learned to prepare zucchini is every way that could be thought of in order to make the most of this delicious summer squash.  Today, or a month and a half ago when I actually prepared this, I felt like indulging myself in something a little more cheesy, in the good way.

Zucchini Au Gratin (Inspired by Ina, and many others)


3 medium sized zucchini, sliced
3 Tbl butter
1 Tbl olive oil
1 small onion, julienned
1/4 tsp paprika
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch of salt
1 Tbl flour
1/2 cup milk (2% or whole)
1/2 cup sliced gruyere

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.



Heat 1tablespoon of butter and the olive oil in in a large skillet over medium heat, add the zucchini and onion.  Add black pepper, salt, paprika, and nutmeg, Sauté for about ten minutes until the zucchini and onion are tender.

In a small sauce pan, melt remaining butter, add flour, stirring constantly till smooth, and begins to bubble.  Once bubbling, removing a little of the roux and stir it into the milk, now add this milk mixture back to the pan and allow to simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes

Layer zucchini and onion in the pan, pour milk sauce over the layered zucchini and top with sliced gruyere and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until cheese is brown and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment